Position Type: Full-time /Seasonal
2017 Dates: May 30-August 19
Compensation: $450 – $500 per week, plus room & board
For More Info: Contact Willie Bittner at 608-799-2567 or email@example.com
The WisCorps Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore crew will work directly with the National Park Service on Wetland restoration projects at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in Porter, Indiana. Position will begin in La Crosse, WI with training/orientation prior to traveling to Indiana to begin the project.
Wetland restoration work will focus on habitat management activities. These actions will include plant propagation, plant installation, seed collections and site preparation. Site preparation work will include herbicide applications and the use of tools and operating equipment such as hand saws, pruners, sprayers and brush cutters to remove undesirable plants. Work will be adaptive with other tasks assigned as necessary to obtain project goals. This position requires strenuous repetitive manual labor, and working outdoors under a variety of weather conditions.
As a WisCorps Crew Leader, you will be responsible for crew safety, ensuring high quality work, building community, crew work ethics, and personal development of the Crew Members, among other responsibilities. You must be comfortable with hard work in tough conditions commonly found living outdoors for weeks at a time.
Crew Leader Responsibilities:
- Supervise, motivate, and mentor a crew of 4-5 youth for 12 weeks at a time
- Work closely with National Park Service to ensure proper completion of project goals
- Oversee safety, care, and well-being of your crew on and off the worksite
- Create crew cohesiveness and positive crew culture
- Educate crew about various conservation issues
- Commit to the development of Corps Member leadership skills
- Remain drug, tobacco, and alcohol free while with your crew
Crew Leader Qualifications:
- Outdoor leadership experience with youth or young adults
- Highly self-motivated, hardworking, confident, autonomous
- Has a sense of humor, able to think creatively outside of the box
- Proficient communication skills
- Relishes rugged living conditions
- 22 year old minimum
- Good driving record and a valid driver’s license
- Ready to undergo a criminal background check
Apply online with the link above or send a completed application, along with a cover letter and résumé to Willie Bittner at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 789 Myrick Park Drive, La Crosse, WI 54601.