Position Title: Field Assistant
Position Type: Full Time, Seasonal (April – August) *with possibility of extension
Location: La Crosse, WI – with extensive travel required
Benefits: Competitive pay & an excellent work environment
To Apply: Email cover letter & résumé with references to Willie Bittner at email@example.com
The Field Assistant is a full time/seasonal position based out of the La Crosse, WI headquarters with travel throughout Wisconsin, as well as occasional trips to visit crews in Michigan and Indiana. You will be responsible for supervising and supporting Crew Leaders in the field, as well as for administrative, logistical, and personnel support for each 3-4 field crews.
You will work with each individual Crew Leader to ensure crew safety, high quality work, positive crew community, a strong crew work ethic, and the personal development of each Crew Member, among other responsibilities. The position duties are 90% field and 10% office and you must be comfortable with hard work and long days (including nights/weekends) in tough conditions as well as with extensive travel/overnights required throughout the course of the field season.
WisCorps is a 501(c)(3) non-profit conservation corps that provides a valuable service to Wisconsin’s citizens and environment by engaging youth and young adults (Corps Members) aged 16-25 in direct conservation projects on public lands across the state.
Field Assistant Responsibilities:
- Supervise and support 4-5 Crew Leaders in the field
- Provide technical, logistical, personnel, and administrative support for each crew
- Ensure crew safety, strong crew work ethic, and corps member development
- Work with Crew Leaders and Project Sponsors to ensure high quality work
- Be on call 24/7 to respond to crew emergencies or incidents
- Assist with planning and implementing Crew Leader training
- Commit to the development of Corps Member leadership skills
- Remain drug, tobacco, and alcohol free while on duty or while in uniform
Field Assistant Qualifications:
- Outdoor leadership experience with youth or young adults
- Experience with logistical support (vehicle, trailers, tools, food, materials, etc.)
- Knowledge of carpentry, trail construction, forestry, and/or invasive species mgmt.
- Has a sense of humor, able to think creatively outside of the box
- Proficient communication skills, both written and oral
- Desire for a position with a substantial field component
- Good driving record and a valid driver’s license
- Previous experience on a trail crew, youth corps crew, or similar program – a must!
- Believes in the WisCorps mission and willing to implement policies and procedures
- Ready to undergo a criminal background check
Email cover letter, résumé, and references to Willie Bittner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WisCorps, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and service provider. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, age, ethnic identity, disability, handicap, marital status or veteran status. If you have a disability and need to access this information in an alternative format, or need it translated to another language, please contact us at (608) 782-2494, fax at (608) 782-0606, email at email@example.com, and TDD/TTY or the Wisconsin Relay number at 7-1-1.